Monday 23 February 2015

Review: Girl Online by Zoe Sugg

Title: Girl Online
Author: Zoe Sugg
Series: n/a
Format: Hardback (paid for myself)
Rating: 3/5

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goodreads description: Penny has a secret. Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog. But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My review: I'd only seen negative reviews of this book before I picked it up so I didn't really have any positive expectations of it, however I was quite pleasantly surprised. Although this isn't the most original book of all time it was a really cute, fluffy and quick read. I really enjoyed the overall story and I felt like I could relate to a lot of the embarrassing, awkward issues that the main character, Penny, dealt with. The book also deals with some more serious issues like online bullying which I was not expecting but it does a pretty good job with them. 

The main issue I had with this book though was that it felt a bit immature at times. Although I'm probably outside the target market for this book (I'm 23) I read a lot of YA and I hardly ever feel like there's actually an age difference between the characters and myself. However I did get that impression with this book. This book also had a serious case of insta-love. While I actually don't mind insta-love as long as its done well, this just felt far too unrealistic for me so I didn't find myself enjoying the relationship between Penny and Noah as much as I should have.

Nonetheless I did enjoy this book overall and I think this would be a perfect read for younger teens. I'm also really hoping that Zoe decides to do another book as I'd like to see her perspective on some perhaps older characters.

Have you read Girl Online? What did you think of it?

Currently reading: Nothing! Finished all my current reads!
Currently drinking: Pineapple & Grapefruit Green Tea by Twinings

Book cover image from Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I gave it the same rating. I agree with what you said about it feeling a bit immature. It was probably more suited for her younger audience. But it was still pretty enjoyable.

    Also, I’ve nominated you in the Versatile Blogger Award. I’m not sure if you’ve already been nominated, or have done it yet. You can check the post here.
    - Emma Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd definitely like to see her do another book for an older audience! And thanks so much, I'll check it out now! :) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...